Thursday, June 26, 2008

Because of you

Wow what a busy spring it was!!! With Shania's 2nd annual fun fair and the 1st annual golf tournament, this spring just flew by. We have great news for Shania's fun fair tallies, we raised just over $41,000.00 total. Last year we raised $27,000.00 the day of, plus we added in the money that was donated into her account after Shania passed away in July, which added up to $40,000.00 . What a tremendous event it was again. Thank you to everyone of you who made this such a great time, for such a great cause. Thank you for believing in Shania's dream to help find a cure. Also Shania's first golf tournament ended up being a great success also. The weather turned out perfect for it, the wild life made a great showing also, from the snapping turtle laying eggs in the 3rd hole sand trap, to the Canada geese and there goslings on the 6Th hole , to the deer on the 2ND hole. We saw some birdies of the golfing kind also. Thank you to our great neighbors Tim and Deb Fittler for setting up this fun filled day for the grown up kids at heart. The day raised $4800.00, which brings the total to $45,800.00 going to Neuroblastoma research at Sick kids. Because of you believing in Shania's dream, we are going to help these children have a better chance of surviving this devastating cancer. Being this busy this spring has been good for us, it has given us something positive and special to focus on in Shania's memory. It is coming up to July 19Th marking one year since our beautiful fairy princess passed away. Because of you Shania, this world is a better place to live in. You have touch so many peoples hearts in special ways that few people can do. Because of you, we have learned how life is meant to be lived to the fullest. You have taught us so many lessons of life that great teachers do. I just finished a cycling challenge in Shania's honour called 'The ride to conquer cancer" for Princess Margret Hospital, a cancer Hospital. With all funds going to Cancer research. It was a 200Km route from Toronto to Niagara falls over last weekend. We called Shania's team, Shania's Sunflower of Hope " Dream catchers" I would like to thank two good Friends for believing in Shania's dream, Robert Graup and Richard Hawkins and joining her team. This was definitely a challenge, two years ago I could never imagined doing something like this. But with Shania's inspiration I now believe anything is possible. I wanted to bring something small of Shania's along with me. When I went into Shania's room I looked around to find something that she would have wanted me to bring. Then I spotted her bravery beads. All eleven feet of them. She was so proud of every single one of them. Each bead representing a different procedure, treatment, operation, Ect... I knew that this is what she would have wanted me to take the most. But there was one problem, my pockets on the back of my Jersey wasn't big enough to hold them all. So I tied the two ends together and glued all the knots of strings together, so I was sure that it wouldn't come apart and have her beads scattered from here to Niagara falls. Then I looped it around my neck at least four times to make a necklace out of it. I was just as proud as a father can be to wear this necklace of my daughters, knowing everything that went into its making. It was quite an emotional experience for me to do. The route that we went was along lake shore from the CNE, then went up north passed HWY#5 and then West toward my home town that I grew up in called Waterdown. To our surprise the route went right down Robson Rd by my dads house. My Dad and Stepmother Sandra were waiting for us out front, So we stopped in to quickly replenish our fluids and hit the road again, we slept over in Hamilton at the grounds of Mohawk College in a huge tent city that was set up there, food was great, beverages compliments of Steam Whistle brewery took some of the pain away. The next day we finnished the route ending up right next to Niagara Falls. This fund raising event was incredible organized from start to finish, not an easy feat considering there was 2850 riders. Shania's team ended raising over $8000.00 and the grand total for the event was $14,000,000.00 If anyone would like to join us on this incredible journey next year, go to http://www.conquercancer.ca/ and look up Shania's Sunflower of hope "Dream catchers" we would love to have you on our team. Karen and Shannon met me in Niagara falls and we stayed over Sunday night at the falls and spent some quality time together.
I will always believe in you Shania I will I will!
I will always believe in you Shania I will I will!!!
I will always believe in you Shania I will I will!!!!!!!
with love that is true
Shayne, Karen & Shannon