Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Hope

(Hope: to expect or look forward to, with desire and confidence.) This word is such a huge part of this horrible disease called Neuroblastoma. Hope for a cure or even to improve the odds for these children. Thank you for supporting Shania's Sunflower of Hope Fun Fair and raising money for the James Fund for Neuroblastoma Research at Sick Children's Hospital. We got the devastating news Thursday afternoon about Shania's re laps. I cannot even begin to explain what it feels like to find out that your child's cancer has come back, especially when the odds are so against them before a re laps. So it was with heavy hearts that Karen and I were going to Shania's Fun Fair. We weren't even sure if she was going to be able to make it, she had a fever Friday night but it went back down after that. Shania has been in an considerable amount of pain since Wednesday and has been getting morphine for it. But we told Dr Baruchel how important this Fun Fair was to Shania and how determined she is to go. He said he would do everything he could to make sure she wouldn't miss it. Karen and Shania got a day pass Saturday morning at 10:30 AM and when they were pulling into the parking lot Shania said "Mommy look at all the cars". What a feeling it was for me to see them pulling up at the Fair Grounds. Our hearts were lifted to see her having so much fun and to see the outpouring of love and support for this incredible girl and her cause. This Fun Fair and it's timing was the best thing possible for our family, because it gave us hope. Hope for our Shania and other children with this deadly disease. Shania started her chemo tonight and seems to be having no adverse reactions so far, hopefully it will do what it is supposed to do and give her a reprieve from the pain and the onslaught of this cancer. On Monday when I got to the hospital she told me that she had a dream while she was sleeping Sunday night it was that she was flying like a fairy from the movie Peter Pan, and all of her friends from School were with her. Wow! I started to well up when she told me about this dream. Shania has won a York Region Board of Education Student Achievement Award and the ceremony is tomorrow night, but we are not sure if she will be able to attend. But if I know Shania she will do her darnedest to get there.
I do believe in Shania I do I do!
I do believe in Shania I do I do!!
I do believe in Shania I do I do!!!
Sincerely,
Shayne,Karen,Shania&Shannon.